Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Our Love Story

This is our complete story from the first time we met, to the day we got married. It is a LONG story, so good luck reading it. It is told by Scott and Heather. Scott is blue, Heather is anything pink

Meeting

The first time I saw Scott was the beginning of January and the start of my third semester at BYU-Idaho. I was 18 and had just ended a short five week relationship. I was standing outside of my apartment with some friends when I noticed Scott knocking on the neighbor’s door. He was attempting to get some girls to go on a hike with him in the middle of winter. My first impression was that he was confident, fun, a skater and I thought he was cute, but not that cute.

The first time I saw Heather, I was just starting my first semester at BYU-Idaho and I was dating a girl who lived in Pine View apartments. We were sitting in the lounge watching a group of friends playing a game across the room. Heather was sitting next to a guy who kept putting his arm around her and she would gently move it and then seconds later he would do it again. She had long black hair and was way too good looking for him and it was painful to watch because he was not getting the hint.

First Date

On March 3, my roommates and I went outside to the church parking lot to play some Frisbee. I am not any good at Frisbee but I decided to go along anyways. We were busy throwing it back and forth when I noticed two boys riding up on small little girls’ bike. I instantly noticed his dark skin and blonde hair, he was wearing dark jeans and a brown shirt, he was extremely attractive. Scott was riding a pink bike with a white basket and colorful streamers bursting out of the handles. I laughed a little and kept playing Frisbee seeing how I wasn’t interested in either of them and I was now starting another relationship.

I was riding a pink bike with my cousin Trae and we decided to go hang out at Pine View apartments. When we got there we saw a group of girls playing Frisbee in the church parking lot next to it. We pedaled on over and joined the game. I was currently in a relationship with a girl from Idaho Falls and was there to support Trae in his asking out a girl named Emily. I began showing off a little and jumped up to grab the Frisbee

High above his head and caught it gracefully. Scott was very athletic and quick. He didn’t miss a beat. As we continued to play my under shirt began to rise. I carefully reached up to pull it down, but not quick enough

I saw her stomach and it made me stop in my tracks. She had a smokin’ hot body and for the rest of the game I couldn’t help staring at this girl in baby blue pants. I had no idea what her name was or even who she was. Eventually the game ended and Tare asked Emily out before we pedaled back home.

First Date Continued…

The next day, March 4, was a boring day for me. I spent my day studying in the library and working out. My boyfriend had gone home for the weekend to see his family, so, when I got back to my apartment I was ready for a boring night of movies and ice cream. Boring is not what I got, instead I got

“Food poisoning”. I could not believe the words my girlfriend was saying! I had spent the entire day getting ready for the coolest date ever and now it was completely ruined because she had food poisoning? Well this was not going to fly with me. I picked up the phone and called Trae’s date, hoping she could find me a replacement.

“Hello” Emily answered.

“Hey, my date just got food poisoning and I need another date” I explained.

“Alright, who do you want to go with?” she asked.

“Hey that girl in the blue from yesterday, she was cute. Will

“You go with Scott on a date?” my roommate asked.

“I don’t know,” I said thinking momentarily about my boyfriend, “Sure. I have nothing better to do.” I answered, a little more excited that my night actually might be more exciting than sitting on the couch. Scott would be there in less than 15 minutes and I hurried to the bathroom to fix my makeup and grab a coat, my brand new boots and a backpack for some “surprise thing”. Knock, knock. He was here. My roommate had the door open before I could get there and Scott was standing there looking

Beautiful! Her hair was pinned back in curls. She was wearing a fluffy pink coat and tan boots over her pants; very girly. This was definitely going to be a good date. I walked her out the door and we both introduced ourselves on the way to the car (her name was Heather Jones). I took her backpack and told her not to look at what I put in it. I opened the door for her and went around to the other side. We sat with a big space between us and began talking. I immediately noticed how comfortable I was with this girl and wanted to get closer.

I pulled my seatbelt on and watched him tug at the belt but it didn’t budge. He smiled a perfect white, straight teethed smile that said all too well that his seat belt was broken. I laughed out loud at his cleverness and didn’t believe him for a second, “Really your seat belt is broken,” I teased ignoring his arguing that

my seatbelt really was broken! But I didn’t care that she didn’t believe me because I was now sitting next to her. Trae and Emily were in the front listening to music and I told Trae to turn to number 17. He skipped through the songs before stopping on “I will follow you into the Dark” by Death Cab for Cutie and

He began singing his heart out to me. I was in shock. His voice was beautiful hitting every note with perfection and not taking his eyes off of me. Had he asked me to marry him right then and there I think I would have said yes under his hypnotizing voice. Sadly, the song ended and

We reached our destination at the bottom of “R” mountain. I hopped from the car and opened Heather’s door before she could. I looked over at Trae, giving him the signal. Taking Heather’s hand, I walked her a few feet from the car.

“It’s tradition he explained,” as he wrapped his arms around me and music began playing from the car. We began dancing. We were on a hill and as we spun in circles we bobbed up and down, putting me into a fit of giggles. Before long we were both laughing and when the song came to an end

I wanted to keep dancing. We grabbed our backpacks and began our hike. We trekked through a field and eventually made it to some rock where the mountain began. The entire way up I quizzed her, I wanted to know anything and everything about this girl. I smiled with each response it was incredible how much

We had in common. We both obviously enjoyed the outdoors, snowboarding, swimming, and sports. He was a skateboarder and I wrongly assumed he had a rebellious side and having dated one too many sissies in my past I was attracted to him. We continued up the mountain,

She didn’t slow on the difficult parts and I was impressed with her stamina. We eventually made it to the top where the wind was blowing and snow piles scattered the cracks and dips. I took Heather’s backpack from her and pulled out two blankets. Another back pack had the firewood and another had our dinner. We attempted to start the fire. The wind was blowing like crazy but I was pretty confident that I could get this fire started. Nothing could

Make this fire start! Seriously you would think we had a bunch of girls trying to start it. Brilliant as I am I held a blanket up to block the wind from the flames and it worked. I am definitely

The best fire starter ever, I thought to myself. We tossed our tinfoil dinners in the fire and I grabbed the blankets and walked to the edge of the cliff where Heather was standing. I wrapped my arms around her waist and let the blanket fall around us. We stood in the wind for a long time, not needing to say anything at all. My thoughts were full of

My boyfriend! I was loving the excitement of the moment but thoughts of my definitely soon to be Ex came drifting through my head. I had never cheated on a boyfriend before, been cheated on, but never actually did the cheating. He was a really sweet guy and we had only been together for 2 weeks. I guess he doesn’t really count yet, I concluded. I barely knew this guy, whose arms were pulling me tight towards him, but for some reason I was ready to give it all up for this boy. He was going to be

Really mad when I tell her about this new girl when I was supposed to be on this date with her. Oh well, I thought, squeezing Heather tightly, she wasn’t my type. After a few more minutes we went back to the fire and checked our food. Everyone got one and we began eating. Boy was it delicious. I am the best cook ever and no one can deny

That this food was disgusting, way too salty and a little burnt. I didn’t want Scott to know so I let a few pieces casually fall into the dirt and ate what I could manage to swallow. It was very cute that he was so proud of himself and I complimented his “yummy” food. I tossed the tinfoil into the fire, with food still in it, and we all went for a brief walk around the canyon. The view was incredible and the stars were shining extra bright tonight. After awhile we walked back down to put the fire out. I grabbed a few hot coals and tossed them in my hands, a fun trick that doesn’t hurt but looks

Like this girl is insane! She offered me one and I turned her down, it was impressive but I wasn’t willing to do it. We kicked the fire down into a deep hole and sparks flew around in circles. Then we stomped out the rest of the coals and headed to another spot on the mountain. We laid down and looked up at the sky. The stars were close and the moon was huge as though I could reach out and touch it.

We headed down the mountain without flash lights using the light from the stars and moon to guide us. Once we were in the car we listened to more music and everyone was singing and enjoying the moment. We drove to a dead end street and got out. I was really confused of what we were going to do in the middle of a dead end road. Scott told me to wait patiently and cranked up the music in the back and we did another traditional dance. At this point there was no denying that this guy was someone special and as we danced on a broken down bridge I knew I was going to marry him.

A truck pulled up with couches in the back and we all piled on. There wasn’t a lot of room so I told Heather she could sit on my lap. She squeezed in next to me instead. The movie was “Grease” or something and it sounded really boring. I let my eyes watch Heather instead. Nothing could interrupt this except

The Police! I began laughing really hard as two police cars pulled up and began asking us questions. We sat around talking for a good 15 minutes and Scott had the policemen laughing before they decided we were safe. We sat back and soon our hands intertwined. My entire stomach was full of butterflies and I had to keep swallowing my giggles. I never wanted this night to end I felt a tugging urge to kiss Scott, which I was able to suppress. The rest of the movie we snuggled close. We drove back, he walked me to the door, gave me a tight squeeze and then it was all over. That night I didn’t sleep much, all I could think about was Scott.

First Week

The following week was the most exciting and fun week of my life, really it was! Nothing could get me down. The next day, following our first date, after church Scott popped up at my apartment and we went for a skateboarding ride. We never stopped talking for a minute and it seemed

I had known her my entire life. I had called my mom up earlier that day and told her all about this amazing girl and how I had never connected with someone so fast. After skateboarding we went to Pine View lounge and sat on the couches, hand in hand, and talked and

Talked and talked. There was nothing more interesting than Scott telling me about himself and then me bursting out, “me too!”. Within seven hours of non stop talking (and cuddling) I was convinced that Scott was my soul mate. Now I know that there is no such thing as lovey, dovey soul mates, but there is no denying that Scott and I were best friends in another life. I swear by it to this day!

Monday I went off to class and the day dragged by. I could not wait to see Heather and the anticipation was killing me. She had night classes and I wouldn’t be able to see her until after 8.

In the mean time, I told my best friends on Monday that I had met the guy I was going to marry. They were all excited and shocked that I could know this after one date. I had never felt this way about any guy before and against my nature I was going to marry him. I had been bound and determined to not get married until I was 25 and with a doctorate degree under my belt. Even with other guys who had told me, “I was the one” I just never would allow it to happen. It was strange how within 48 hrs I had let a BOY mess up my very strict, scheduled, life plan. Anyways, every night of the week we did something active and fun. I came home smelling like a fire and

I could barely move! This week took every last ounce of energy out of me. I could not keep up with her and I told Trae that I didn’t know if I could date her anymore because I physically could not move. We spent every night together walking and looking at the stars. We went on another hike with a fire, spent the night at the sand dunes, went snowboarding, and on Saturday we went on an all day snowmobile trip. We wrestled, tripped, and teased each other non-stop. Every trip ended

with a cute traditional dance wherever we might have parked. I stayed up late into the night writing in my journal about this incredible guy and reading my scriptures. Scott made me a better person. He was a return missionary and read his scriptures thoroughly every night. The rebel I thought he might have been was nowhere to be found in this very spiritual guy.

First Kiss!

In my short 18 years of life I had told myself that I was going to marry my seventh kiss. Now this was not a secret to roommates, friends, and even the guys in the ward. They all teased me about it because when I got to college I had kissed 2 boys and within 4 months it had reached 6. Thankfully Scott came to save the day!

I had told myself that I was never going to reach the double digits of girls I had kissed. I didn’t just kiss any girl and when I did, we dated for awhile. Well, I was at number 8 when I went on our first date. Thankfully Heather came to save the day.

We had just gotten back from Snowmobiling, it was March 11, and we were both beyond tired. I had never gone so long without kissing a boyfriend (I know totally pathetic) and was really wanting to kiss Scott and

I had made up my mind to kiss her. A relationship doesn’t seem set in stone until the first kiss and I was holding back. I knew Heather was the one but I was scared to make it official because I didn’t know if I was ready to get married. After this week, I could no longer make up excuses, this girl was the one and I was going to kiss her. We went to the basement lounge in Pine View where it was empty. We bought skittles and sat down on one of the couches.

We started talking as we fed each other skittles. I threw one in the air and Scott caught it in his mouth smiling. We continued playing this game until there were hardly any skittles left in the bag so

I grabbed a skittle and placed it between my lips and told her to get it. She lifted up and

He kissed me, letting the skittle fall in my mouth. My entire body was full of butterflies and I was shaking with excitement. I had never had such a thrilling kiss! I don’t believe I stopped smiling until I fell asleep.

Engagement!

n1045063547_6105_440

The next 6 months we spent every day together. By the end of Winter Semester we had said “I love you” and I turned down a $10 per hour job in Washington with my parents to work construction and pay rent in Rexburg, just so I could stay with Heather. There wasn’t a day we spent away from each other and if there was I did nothing but wait for her to call.

On September 9, 2006 Scott took me to the top of “R” also known as “Our Mountain”. We went with Trae and a different date and when he pulled the whole “my seat belt doesn’t work” again, I knew something was up. After singing to me our song I was positive by the end of the night he was going to propose. We reached the top of the mountain in no time, we hiked it regularly, and with daylight still available we went looking for some wood. We climbed on top of a big rock and Scott asked me how much I loved him,

“I love you as much as all the stars in the sky” I said.

“How much do you love me?” he asked again (he was really needing some reassurance today).

“I love you as tall as all the mountains in the world stacked on top of each other” I answered, “How much do you love me?” I asked.

“Hold on I have a rock in my shoe,” he said but before he could go down I said “I can get it and went to help him and

He said “no, I will get it” and then he was on his knee and popped out the ring.

I was smiling and my hands were shaking uncontrollably, “Will you marry me?” I asked, my voice trembling from nerves. If you know Me at all, this was incredibly out of the ordinary.

“Yes!” she screamed and started giggling as I put the ring on her finger and pulled her in for a kiss. Trae came out with the video camera, he had recorded the entire thing.

 

2 comments:

Eric and Tabitha McCoy said...

You know this is the longest love story that I have ever read. Well reall life that is. But WOW what an amazing story!!! You guys are awesome!!!

Cloud said...

I love ur story! thanks for sharing!