Friday, December 9, 2011

Dear Anonymous

Dear Anonymous,
I loved reading your comment. I loved it so much that I deleted it instantly. It did make me realize that people worry too much about what other's think about their child. In my mind, my son is perfect just the way he is. I love him so much! When he was away from me for two weeks and I finally got him back, I sat on the couch holding him and cried for fifteen minutes because I missed him so much. Everything I do, as a parent, is what is best for him.

Now here is my rant:
Let me clarify some things for everyone, but mainly Mrs. Annonymous. First of all my son is two. Two! There is nothing "wrong" with letting him play in my makeup, with fingernail polish, with dolls or whatever "girly" item he decides is interesting at the time.

Next, let me get all educational on you. What toddler would not want to play with fingernail polish and make messes? It is completely natural! It has been proven that if you do not allow your boys to play with "girl toys" they will begin to think there is something wrong with them. If you tell them they can't play with dolls because it is weird, they will think they are weird. It is much more harmful to your child to not allow them to play with certain toys because of your own insecurities and fears.

Next, it is "wrong" to tell your child that they can't do certain things because the world has put a freaking label on it!

Last, if Lincoln wants to paint pictures with my polish, then I will let him. If he wants to shoot balls in the hoop, I will let him. If he wants to get in my makeup, I will let him. If he wants to drive cars around, fight with sticks, hold a baby doll, sing, dance, pray and read his books, I WILL LET HIM. I know what is best for my son and as long as it healthy, safe and appropriate I'm going to let him.

Anyways, that is my opinion on the matter!

On a side note, I really do love comments and appreciate people's opinions. There is definitely a fine line between having an opinion and being nasty. No one can tell you how to parent, I think if you are raising your child with God in mind, you are probably doing a good job. :)

Heather

6 comments:

Nancy said...

Go Heather! I totally feel the same way. I actually just read a similar post titled "I'm a good mother, you're a good mother" I have a link on my facebook page. I hope everything is going well for you and your family!

Nicole said...

http://630andaglassofwine.bangordailynews.com/2011/12/07/married-life/im-a-good-mother-youre-a-good-mother/ you should send Mrs. Anonymous to this WONDERFUL link :) You go Heather!!!!

Maria said...

Yes, it's sad when people get nasty. I wonder what makes them think they are such an expert that they have to be critical? We are all trying to figure out how to be a good parent and each child is so different and individual. Don't let the those kind of comments get to you. You know your a good mom and so does Lincoln, that's what matters most.

Anonymous said...

I think it is funny when someone who can has such a strong opinion on something but doesn't have the courage to comment with their actual name. If you are posting anonymously its probably because you no what you are commenting is wrong! Cohen thought playing with that nail polish was the best day ever! If there is one thing I've learned about parenting its that if you are too busy judging other peoples parenting ideas you are probably not putting enough time into your own.

Alison and Troy said...

Wait I missed something... What did they say? Probably they don't have kids. Or they do, just very unhappy ones.

Nate and Chelsea Peck said...

I really hate it when people try to give me advice when I don't ask for OR need it. People are lame. You are right, boys are fine to play with girl stuff! You better believe Broden plays with Allison's pink stuff! I even made a little bag of my old makeup and makeup brushes for Broden (and someday Allison) to play with when he's bugging me when I'm getting ready...