Saturday, November 24, 2012

Does Santa Claus Wrap your Presents?

I LOVE Christmas (why I am posting this before my Thanksgiving post) it is basically my favorite month of the year! I am big on traditions and one of those traditions is different than what Scott grew up with.
Santa did NOT wrap our Christmas presents. Not a single one.

Every year Santa Clause would leave us each a very special present right by our stocking.  We loved it! We would wake up at 4:00 in the morning, sometimes earlier, and tip-toe out to see what Santa brought us. The Christmas tree lights would be the only lights we would have to investigate our toy and stocking. We would play with it and eventually get our parents to wake up around 6:30. It wasn’t just another wrapped gift under the tree but a whole other surprise of its own.
When Scott grew up, Santa Clause wrapped his presents and he also loved it! He loved waking up to see that the presents under the tree had doubled and the excitement of opening up the surprise.
I have debated whether or not to ask Santa to wrap the presents because it was Scott’s family tradition.
But, here are my reasons for wanting unwrapped Santa gifts:
1. This was my favorite part about Christmas and I plan on living vicariously though my children.
2. I don’t want Santa to stress out about making sure his wrapping paper is different than ours.
3. I would like to take some stress off of Santa and not make him wrap too many presents, plus it’s good for the environment.
4. I think Lincoln will understand better if he comes out to a pile of toys and we say, “look what Santa brought,” rather than opening tons of presents and saying, “this one is from Santa….this one is from mom….this one is from dad….this one is from Santa…." and him be too busy to notice who it is from.
5. Scott really isn’t into holidays, so he doesn’t even care that much.
6.It makes it different than birthdays and special in its own way.
(I always get my way so this post is slightly pointless)
What does Santa Clause do at your families house? Does he wrap or unwrap and why do you love it?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

We just have presents next to our stockings. I love it for several reasons: less work for santa, less confusion for the kids on who gave them what, and that's how I've always done it and Charles doesn't care.