Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pink Toes

I decided to take Lincoln summer sandal shopping and went to Payless.

As soon as I entered the store a young lady greeted me with a million questions.
"Hey, how are you? The weather is great isn't it? Want me to measure his foot to get his shoe size?" I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk so fast in all my life.

I usually would have smiled and ignored her, but when I woke up today I decided I was going to be nice to annoying people, so I answered all three of her questions,"Good, yes and no".

She looked at me like I was the dumb one, "Alright! I would love to measure his foot!"

I reminded myself that I was being nice and decided to just let her measure Lincoln's foot, even though I had said "No" to that question.

"Just take off his shoe and then take of his sock and then put his foot on here and then I will measure it" she chirped and I am pretty sure she might have bounced several very happy times.

"Okay," I said calmly, reminding myself that I sometimes bounce too.
But once I took off Lincoln's sock, I remembered why I didn't want his foot measured. His toes were freshly painted Bubble Gum Pink. I was hoping she wouldn't notice.

"Oh my Gosh! Did you paint his toes pink?" she exclaimed with a look of disgust and shock.

"Nope" I lied, biting my lip and trying not to look at her or Lincoln's toes.

"Well then WHO did?" she was clutching his toes and really examining them.

"No idea" I shrugged, "get his size yet?"

"Someone doesn't just paint your child's toes without you knowing silly" she laughed and was smiling really big.

"I guess he did then" and I grabbed Lincoln and left her looking confused.

After trying on a few sandals, some other customers found their way towards us.

A little boy pointed at Lincoln's pink toes, "Look mommy his toes are painted pink."
The mom looked and then pulled her child away like we were some really strange looking people, "It's rude to stare sweetheart" but she didn't bother hiding her own gazing eyes.

Ten seconds later another mom was looking at his feet with disapproval.

I was feeling like a pretty crappy mom at this point and desperate to explain myself I said outloud, "It's not THAT weird his toes are painted. I mean really it isn't"

Blank stares from everyone

"He asked me to okay!" I pouted.

A little girl looked over at me and said, "I think his toes are sooooo cute!"

For some reason that statement bothered me the most.

Needless to say the fingernail polish has been removed.

3 comments:

Bryan and Adrienne said...

Heather, I love your face! You are so cute! This post made my day. (This is Adrienne by the way =]) Oh, and I've been dying to paint Ethan's toes too...Bryan won't let me!! =]

walkerbunch said...

Ha ha ha. I love your posts Heather.

Nancy said...

Hahaha! Charlie has asked me to paint his toes but Charles won't let me.