Monday, February 6, 2012

Potty Training

Now that we have settled down, I decided to start potty training Lincoln today.

Last time I tried was a year ago. It was horrible. He about lost it and had no idea what I was trying to make him do. I felt this social pressure that my child needed to be potty trained by exactly two, or else I was a lazy crappy parent. So stupid!

I decided to wait until he showed signs of being ready. Being a working mom, I kept putting it off. How was I suppose to potty train my child while I was at work? Now that I can stay home with Lincoln, I went for it.

Last week I was giving him a bath and he stood up while holding his peepee and whined, “I’m done! I want a diaper”. I had just put him in the bath tub and was not about to take him out. A minute later he was peeing outside the tub and I could have smacked my idiot self for not understanding him.

That was when I knew he was ready!

Fast-forward to today. I took off his diaper and told him to tell me when he had to pee. About ten minutes later he said he had to. I set him on the toilet. Nothing. Every three minutes he would whine to go potty and I would set him down. Nothing. After the sixth time, I turned on the water to relax him and tadah! He went pee! Definitely a very happy moment for me.

And that was that. When he had to go, he would tell and I would help him on the toilet. He didn’t have a single accident all day, not even during his nap. He even told me when he had to poop and didn’t struggle at all with it.

I know there is still a long ways to go, but honestly this has been so easy! I have heard horror story after horror story, and thought I was going to have to follow him around like a hawk. But nope. He basically potty trained his self. All I did was take off his diaper!

I can even say he potty trained before he was three ;)

IMG_7743

IMG_7744

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Yay! That's so awesome that things went so smoothly! I'm a firm believer in training them when they are ready not when you think they should be ready. I had a similar experience to you and tried when Charlie was 2 1/2 and it failed! Then at about 3 I tried again when he seemed to be ready and it was SO easy!! I hope he continues to do well!

Maria said...

I think that is the whole tip to potty training...wait until THEY are ready. When they do it's a breeze. When they are not it's a nightmare for kid and parent. Good job Lincoln!

Nate and Chelsea Peck said...

I hope he continues to do so well! You did good waiting until he was really ready! I had to learn the hard way.

Nicole said...

Awesome! Seriously, waiting until they are ready is soooo worth it!! I would much rather potty training take 4 days, than have a child potty trained before 2 and have it take 18 months!! Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it :)