Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fossil Rocks

Lincoln loves this bag of cheap animals he got for his birthday. He carries them in his trucks, to the beach, outside, to church and where ever he feels his “friends” need to be. I love it because they were three bucks for like 20 animals, and as he is constantly losing toys, I don’t feel the stress of keeping track of them.

I decided to have some fun with them by turning them into “fossils”.

I found the recipe on Pinterest, but the source wasn’t correct.I tweaked the recipe for my own liking; the original called for sand, but we didn’t have any on hand so we added extra salt and dirt. Our dirt was more rocky and gritty to begin with though.

Here is the recipe

1 1/2 Cups of dirt

1 1/4 cups of flour

1 cup of salt

Water

1. Go outside with your little person and dig up some dirt. Lincoln thought it was awesome that we got to actually bring dirt inside the house!

2. Mix it all in a bowl and begin adding water until it feels like damp, sticky play dough. How much water you add really depends on how damp your dirt was to begin with.

3. Then pick some plastic toys and mold the mixture around it. It was so fun to choose toys and hide them in the dirty mess. I put a few “surprise” ones in there to keep it exciting.

4. Either leave it in the sun to dry

OR

Set the oven on the lowest temperature, probably 170 degrees. Keep the door propped open to help the moisture escape and when the rocks feel dry, it is finished!

After Lincoln spent the rest of the day driving them around like cars and fighting with them, the next day we took them outside with a box of his tools.

Gotta love this face showing off his rock!

 IMG_1588

All of the rocks, ready to find and explore!IMG_1590

Doesn’t it look so real? I am seriously surprised this turned out. Apparently I am better at cooking rocks than real food :/IMG_1592

IMG_1623IMG_1593 IMG_1596 IMG_1598

Maverick staring at a rock….IMG_1604 Lincoln thought it was a lot of fun, but when it was time to go inside he began crying because we had broken most of his rocks. We kept a few and he refuses to tear them apart to get the animals out and so they are sitting on our deck for forever.IMG_1614 IMG_1615 IMG_1617 IMG_1620 IMG_1622

When we were finished, I tossed them back in the dirt. Well I guess they stick to your feet and all our neighbors walk through this dirt path and you can see where they dragged it across the cement trying to get it off. They probably think they stepped in dog poop! Bwahahahaha!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

How fun! I'm sure my kids would love doing that!

Oh, and your story about the fire alarm guy...wow, I would want to crawl in a hole too. What a crazy day!