Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Thank You Officer

I have this problem running red lights. I am just not patient enough. Today, I was driving and the light turned red, so I hit the gas and sped through it. Unfortunately, the police car in the lane next to mine, stopped. Stupid rule followers!

He quickly went through the red light after me, lights flashing.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?" he asked.

I decided to play the stupid card, "No idea" I said, shrugging my shoulders.

"For one the speed limit is 25, not 39, and secondly you ran a red light." he said sternly.

"Oh....." I was starting to panic. I pride myself in getting out of tickets, but this time no excuses were coming.

"Can I get your license, insurance and registration?" he asked getting straight to the point. He obviously didn't want to hear my excuses, even if I did have one.

I reached for my wallet and pulled out my license, "This is a terrible picture of me," I said before handing it over, "I was nine months pregnant." He didn't seem to care.

I started searching for the insurance and registration. I handed the registration over and started scrambling through the papers for the insurance. I pulled out an insurance card.

"That's 2008" he said impatiently.

Why there is a 2008 insurance card in my brand new car, I will never know. I grabbed a different one.

"That's 2009, you're getting closer," he looked bored.

My hands began shaking. Why do I have insurance cards to vehicles I don't even own anymore? There was no way I was getting out of this ticket. Eventually I gave up.

"I don't have it!" I threw up my hands in defeat, "just give me a ticket".

He seemed shocked. People probably don't normally demand tickets, "Well, just so you know your registration is up at the end of this month," he pointed out the date and I began laughing. Like laughing uncontrollably.

"That isn't even the registration to this car! That's to my truck!" I exclaimed, and continued laughing. What were all these papers doing in my car?

"Oh, it is....you're right" he looked really confused, "well it expires at the end of this month."

"Don't worry," I breathed through gasps of laughter, "I already crashed that truck!"

"Oh! Well, because you're wearing your seat belt, I won't give you a ticket." he seemed nervous. Perhaps my maniac laugh was alarming?

"Thank you officer" I said smiling brightly.

I am still laughing.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Haha! I hate getting pulled over! I get so flustered! It seems like I know so many people that have gotten pulled over lately.